The heaviest passenger locomotive ever produced, the famous Santa Fe 4-8-4
Northerns epitomized steam power. The steep graded western lines of the Santa Fe
required a locomotive with enormous power and the Northern was the answer.
The first Northerns were delivered from Baldwin in 1927. By the 1940s, the
new oil-burning 2900 series had arrived and were known as the largest 4-8-4s
ever built. With their tremendous sixteen wheel tenders, these Northerns
measured over 120 feet long and were often rostered for the entire journey from
Chicago to Los Angeles, a distance of over 1,700 miles!
- Die-Cast Boiler
- Die-cast tender & tender trucks
- Precision Flywheel-Equipped Motor
- Operating Headlight
- Operating Electronic Whistle
- Operates on O-31 or greater curves
- All metal wheels & gears
- Electronic reversing unit
- Metal chassis
- Die-cast lead & trailing trucks
- Die-cast operating coupler
- Operating ProtoSmoke System
- Equipped with Proto-Sound Digital Sound and Train Control System Featuring
Squeaking Brakes, Freight Yard Proto-Effects Sounds and more
- Length: 25"
This engine is new and has never been taken out of the box. Prior to
shipping, and at no extra charge, we will replace the ProtoSound battery with a
revolutionary "Battery Component Replacement" (B.C.R.). It is an
electronic circuit that directly replaces the battery in the MTH engine. Never
worry about charging the battery again!
This engine is sold through Kit-N-Caboose, an authorized MTH Dealer and
carries the full manufacture's warranty. For warranty questions, call