In 1946, EMD began production of one of the most famous and recognizable
locomotives of all time, the F-3 diesel. Proclaimed as the "widest range
locomotive in history", a record production of 1800 units sold in just two
Demonstrating remarkable proficiency at both fast-passenger and heavy-freight
service, the F-3's flexibility cemented it as a mainstay on most large
railroads. These 1,500 horsepower units were so successful that the f-3 is
credited with accelerating many railroads' path to dieselization. The engine's
initial field tests were conducted among 20 different railroads winning over
many diesel doubters with their fuel efficiency and easy maintenance.
The F-3's sleek, streamlined shape proved to be the perfect design for the
colorful, imaginative paint schemes many railroads used on their locomotives as
a way to showcase their passenger trains.
- Set includes a powered A-unit, and non-powered A and B units
- "O" Scale
- Operating headlights
- Illuminated cabs and number boards
- Dual Lionel Pullmor motor in the powered A-unit
- Operating diesel horn in B-unit
- Remote controlled forward-neutral-reverse operation
- Die-cast trucks and wheels
- Die-cast chassis on the A-units
- Self centering die-cast knuckle couplers
- Operating couplers on the noses of A-units
- Operates on O-27 or greater radius track
This engine has been track tested to make sure that it is operating properly.
Includes original boxes, paperwork and instructions.